Update: In my last release announcement I’ve made a typo, starting that version 1.0.1 of TAO Translator was released. That’s not correct, because it was version 1.1.0, actually. The post was corrected and old link now redirects here.
After a bit more than a year since last release, version 1.1.0 of TAO Translator was released last Friday. Builds for Symbian and Nokia N9 were available immediately, builds for BlackBerry 10 and Sailfish OS were approved in the corresponding app stores today. So feel free to go and update TAO Translator if you didn’t do it yet.
Major change in this release is a fix to Google Translate service, which should work again now. Other changes to note are possibility to swap between source and target language even if source language is set to autodetect, support for changing interface language (before that it was automatically selected based on phone language), and that lists of source and target languages were updated for all services (there are now few new languages there).
Here is a detailed ChangeLog:
- Fixed Google Translate service (issue #36).
- It is now possible to swap source and translation languages when source language is set to autodetect and language was successfully autodetected.
- Support for changing interface language (issue #29).
- Clear button is now an icon.
- All settings were moved to a new Settings page.
- “Send Feedback” option was added. This will open an e-mail composer with pre-filled subject and recipient.
- Parts of text on the About page were made localizable.
- Source and target translation languages were updated for all services.
- Google Translate: Support for articles in the dictionary (provided only for some languages, like German).
- BlackBerry 10: TAO Translator is now a share target: select text in any application, press “Share” icon and select TAO Translator from the list. The text will be opened for translation in TAO Translator.
- BlackBerry 10: Source / target language selection dropdowns now expand to full width when opened.
- BlackBerry 10: Support for switching between Dark and Bright / Light themes (issue #33).
- BlackBerry 10: A possibility to share translation through the standard share menu.
- BlackBerry 10: Fixed badly readable text in the title (white text on light background) in BlackBerry OS 10.3.
- BlackBerry 10: Fixed empty active frame when TAO Translator is started with dark theme (issue #35).
- Symbian, Nokia N9: Workaround for a bug when virtual keyboard in some cases covers text input (issue #32).
- New UI localization: Czech.
And for more technical details, check out the changes between versions 1.0.1 and 1.1.0 on GitHub.